Monday, August 4, 2008

car rides

Alessia hates car rides. I dread having to drive anywhere with her by myself, and even when there's someone in the back it usually doesn't help. And every time I tell someone about it, I get the same response: "You're baby doesn't like the car?! But all babies love the car!" (I got the same response when she hated the bath too). It has been suggested the maybe she gets carsick - apparently some babies do - but I don't think it's that. I've tried everything I can think of - I try to make sure I feed her right before we go so she's not hungry, I've tried to leave when she's sleeping or about to fall asleep, I've tried music, shhh-ing, and static on the radio. Nothing seems to work! She seems to only be able to tolerate car rides in the morning, and even then not for long.

There have been a handful of good rides though, and yesterday was the best. I sat in the back with her and my husband drove (we've done this before with no luck), and we played on the hour drive to my aunts house. About half-way there, she fell asleep. Then on the way home she actually slept the entire way. I didn't do anything different, so I have no idea how to replicate these wonderful rides. Plus, what do I do when I'm alone? My mom keeps saying she'll grow out of it, and I hope she's right. Come September when I go back to work, Alessia will be in the car a lot since we have to drop her off at my mother's everday. I don't think I could deal with her screaming everyday for the whole ride, especially during rush hour.

Any suggestions or tricks? How can I make the car more enjoyable for her when we're alone?

No comments: