Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Another round of shots

No that those kinds of shots! I'm talking about vaccines. For those of you that have been following and paying attention to my rambles, at last month's checkup I refused two of Alessia's vaccines so she wouldn't get 4 at a time. So I had to go back this month to get them. Although I always dread these visits and feel sick to my stomach when it's time for them to "shoot 'er up", I figured it wouldn't be that bad. They weren't giving her another checkup with the dr., just a visit with the nurse (since they do all the "work" at the visits anyway). I figured, how long could it possibly take? AN HOUR. Yes, that's right, we waited in the waiting room for an hour before they called our name. While we did make friends with a cute 9 year old girl who even mopped up Alessia's drool for her while she was making her laugh, we did not enjoy it. Alessia started to get real cranky - she missed a nap and a feeding during that time. So she was already screaming before they even pricked her. Oh and the best part, they didn't even put us in a room for the shots. They just called us over to the nurse's station, had me expose her thighs (aka take off her pants) and sit her on my lap as they gave her the shots. Last time, I was able to sit in the room for a few minutes after to nurse her to help soothe and calm her after, but not this time. I was, and still am, so pissed. Next month I'm calling ahead to ask how their schedule is running. If they're running late, they can call me at home when they're ready! I'm not sitting in the waiting room for an hour again. Oh and did I mention the attitude they had when I asked (crying baby in hand) how much longer it would take?
Are all doctor's offices like this? Or am I the only lucky one?

Oh and she's been fine since the shots - no fever or irritability. Yay! Though she does have some kind of a rash, totally unrelated, that I can't figure out. She has ubersensitive skin and I think it may be eczema, but it's on her upper thigh/butt cheek. I dunno. I'll call the dr if it's still there at the end of the week. Wonder how long I'll have to sit in the waiting room for that one.

2 comments:

Danielle said...

that sounds like a nightmare!

Christy said...

Oh no! I have had to wait for ungodly long periods of time at our pediatrician's office too. And it seems like my kids get sick every time we walk in the door. I think the toys in the waiting area are teeming with germs.